How To Install Replace AC Compressor Belt Chevy Silverado GMC Sierra four.8L 5.3L 6.0L 99-07 1AAuto.com

by Chevy News on January 11, 2013

www.1aauto.com 1A Car shows we how to repair, install, fix, change or substitute a broken, damaged snapped, or cut AC compressor belt about a 2002 GMC Sierra. This belt is correct for numerous GM cars yet the application is the same for Chevrolet Silverado plus GMC Sierra pickups 1999-2007.
Video Rating: 4 / 5

www.1aauto.com 1A Car shows we how to repair, install, fix, change or substitute a broken, or ripped off radiator grille about a Chevy Silverado Pickup, Suburban, Tahoe, GMC Sierra Pickup Truck, Suburband or Yukon. This is accomplished inside regarding an hr. It just needs the phillips screwdriver, 7mm wrench plus socket, along with a 1/2 wrench.
Video Rating: 4 / 5

{ 39 comments }

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 1:26 am

If the issue is only when it happens when the A/C is running, there might be a bad bearing either in the pulley or there could be something wrong internally in the compressor.

jeff macon January 11, 2013 at 1:40 am

what about the belt squeal? i tried putting another belt on 1/2″ smaller but it wouldn’t go even with tensioner loosened all the way. the first tensioner i put on to replace the factory tensioner broke so this is the 3rd tensioner on it. the slipping only happens while the compressor is engaged and it has a new dayco belt and tensioner, i’ve tried belt conditioner and even cleaned the pulleys with paint thinner to ensure there’s no build up on it. would you say i need to replace the a/c clutch?

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 2:06 am

If you are getting a mildew smell coming from the vents, you might have cabin air filters that were installed in the vehicle that need to be changed out. Some of those vehicles came with them, others did not so you will have to check it out.

jeff macon January 11, 2013 at 2:10 am

very informative video..this helped me replacing my a/c belt on my 01 yukon xl. the a/c belt is still slipping after replacing the belt and tensioner and only slips when a/c is on, not when it’s off. doesn’t slip at idle either, only when i accelerate. a/c cools very good at idle which it didn’t do before i swapped to a new belt, it just blew out air that smelt of mildew. could my clutch be locking up or my compressor going out? also, what would cause the bad smelling air? thanks for helping

408hsyes January 11, 2013 at 2:37 am

We have alot of problems with our 01 Tahoe with rear AC put r134a freon need one more 18oz bottle of freon and got the tentier and the AC belt.

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 3:34 am

The serpentine belt tensioner should automatically apply enough pressure to it so that it doesn’t squeal. Over time the tensioners can loose some of their tention and need to be replaced. Hope this helps you out.

stickysugarpuff January 11, 2013 at 4:06 am

how do you tighten the AC belt?

steveoconnorusa January 11, 2013 at 4:33 am

Thanks for this video! My ac belt snapped on my 01 Tahoe and this video showed me how to replace it myself. All done in about 35 minutes!

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 4:45 am

It may fit snug but shouldn’t be impossible either. If it’s a new belt, measure it against the old belt to see if it’s the right size and not smaller.

MPhiG96SU January 11, 2013 at 5:20 am

is there some kind of trick to get a “new” belt over both the crank and a/c rings…i tried over and over different methods but it never seemed to be enough slack in the belt to go over both….

Douglas Young January 11, 2013 at 6:02 am

This video was great. I’d been stalling throughout the winter to replace the ac belt on my 2000 Z71, thinking there was no way I could do it. But today I thought I’d give it a shot. Confounded, I used the power of Google to search for tips and this video came up as an option. I watched it and 30 minutes later my AC is back to working!

Hugo Valdez January 11, 2013 at 6:09 am

Hi very good videos thanks!!!! I have a question for you, I have a 02 chevy Tahoe 4.8 2WD. When I turn my a/c on, it feels like its going to turn off, also today my ac was on and as soonest i accelerated it started squeaking very load, I turn off the ac and it was fine again. Is this the ac compressor going bad? And if it is whats the repair cost on this I know is just a rough estimate but would like to know how much money Im going to spend! thank you in advance!!!

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 7:03 am

We currently do not carry this particular part. Thank you for asking. Have a great day.

infringinator January 11, 2013 at 7:40 am

does 1Aauto sell the engine shields? I’m missing mine and the dealer thinks they come standard

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 8:27 am

It’s a valance, we currently do not carry these on our website. If your’s is broke, you could try to get one from your local salvage yard. hope this helps you out.

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 9:09 am

Thanks for watching. Have a great day! 1aauto.com 888-844-3393

Dillion Johnson January 11, 2013 at 9:23 am

all u really need yall is a 5mm and a 7mm and a phillips or a t20 torx bit depending on the year of ur chev

pizzahutking5 January 11, 2013 at 10:03 am

What is the part number for that plastic peice u pulled off the bottom of the grille

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 10:55 am

Unfortunately we do not have a video for the lines but the hardest part of the whole job is making sure nothing gets rounded off. Before doing any of the work you should soak all the fittings in penetrating fluid for a least a day to break up all the rust and corrosion.

Nils Andre Draugedal January 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

Then it is the oil cooler. When i look at it, it looks like i should change the cooler and the lines. Do you have a video of this job? Is it hard?

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 11:30 am

It sounds like it may be an oil cooler, or it the fluids red a tranny cooler.

Nils Andre Draugedal January 11, 2013 at 11:45 am

Just behind the grille on my Silverado 1998, there is something that is leaking oil. I don’t know the name of this part. It’s a rib formed (20cmX20cm) peace, with two metalt tubes, one in each side on the bottom. It is leaking oil from the right side of this part. What is this? Is it critical?

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 11:54 am

Not sure if you ordered it from us, but it should fit fine. Check where is mounts to see if there’s some type of adjustments to shift it ouut of the way. If you did purchase it from us, and there’s a major issue, call our sales line at 888-844-3393 and our sales staff can help you with it.

wynyard2 January 11, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Took my grille off to change the whole driver’s side headlight assembly. When I went to put the grille back on it didn’t fit very well over the headlight (rubbing on outside of both drivers and passengers light assemblies). As well the two outermost screw holes on top of the grille didn’t line up well. Comparing the old headlight to the new one I really can’t see any difference so I’m not sure why it won’t fit. Am I missing something simple??

John Cundiff January 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm

The grille has tabs that connect to the valance. All you have to do it undo those tabs that hook it to the valance THEN unbolt the valance. took me two hours to figure that out:)

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 2:06 pm

You may be able to.

Manny Molina January 11, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Well, we were going to do a full grille and light swap. When you say the mounting tabs are different, what do you mean? Is it something I could just break the clips off and just use the bolts to hold it on?

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 2:51 pm

The tabs for the 1989 are different then the 1996 unfortunately so it would not work unless you made your own mounting tabs as well as replace the headlights and side markers to the later model.

Manny Molina January 11, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Is it possible to install a 1989 gmc grille onto a 1996 silverado?

mud4x4 January 11, 2013 at 3:34 pm

thanks for the video great job

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 4:01 pm

If it’s a bolt you could try to remove it from underneath the front bumper, of possibly remove one of the headlights to gain access.

Hunter Rice January 11, 2013 at 4:52 pm

How do you get the Bolt out of the little space right behind the bottom half of the grille???

KB7UZBDS January 11, 2013 at 4:59 pm

SAVED THE DAY THANK YOU FOR THE VIDEO

bigtames January 11, 2013 at 5:53 pm

some chevys dont have bolts on the bottom they have tabs..jus letting u guys know

ErikMartinez454 January 11, 2013 at 6:34 pm

yes it will, well on a chevy it did, same thing for a gmc sierra

1aauto January 11, 2013 at 7:26 pm

This isn’t something that we have tired, it may depending on the model of the GMC.

nodice333 January 11, 2013 at 7:56 pm

will a 94 gmc grill direct swap with the 94 silverado grill?

Will Cotopolis January 11, 2013 at 8:52 pm

how do u remove the bolts behind the marker light!?!? i cant get my ratchet in there

RustyShackelford777 January 11, 2013 at 8:58 pm

wow, i feel like a dumbass, i just realized there was a video suggestion to the side. I got the problem resolved btw, thanks alot i subbed!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: